At Specialty Organics, we offer a variety of chemical products, including magnesium ethoxide. Also known as magnesium ethylate, this compound is a catalyst that causes reactions in petrochemicals. Specialty Organics is the only U.S. manufacturer of magnesium ethoxide, and we maintain an abundant supply so that we can support our customers’ fast turnaround times.
What Is Magnesium Ethoxide?
The chemical compound magnesium ethoxide has the chemical formula Mg(OC2H5)2 and CAS number 2414-98-4. Since it only utilizes organic materials like metal and ethanol, magnesium ethoxide is an environmentally safe and sustainable chemical. Because it is made with ethanol, manufacturers need to have ATF licensing to produce magnesium ethoxide. Due to the high barrier to entry, there are few certified magnesium ethoxide suppliers in the United States. As a catalyst that initiates reactions in petrochemicals, magnesium ethoxide is an essential compound for organizations such as:
- Plastics manufacturers that fabricate polypropylene and polyethylene
- Oil companies
- Pharmaceutical manufacturers
Properties of Magnesium Ethoxide
Magnesium ethoxide is commonly used as an olefin polymerization catalyst carrier for various materials, including polypropylene, polyethylene, and precision ceramic materials. Here is a full breakdown of the compound’s properties:
- Purity: Purity exceeds 98% and magnesium content ranges between 21-22%.
- Color & consistency: The compound is a grayish to white granular powder.
- Density: Bulk density is about 1.01 g/cm3.
- Reactiveness: Magnesium ethoxide is hygroscopic and reacts violently when it makes contact with water.
- Weight: Molecular weight is 114.44 g/mol.
- Storage: Store in a tightly sealed container to prevent decomposition due to exposure to moisture in the air. The chemical should also be stored away from oxidizing agents and strong acids.
- Stability: When stored properly, magnesium ethoxide is stable, with a decomposition temperature of 270 °C.
Magnesium Ethoxide from Specialty Organics
To our knowledge we are the only manufacturer capable of commercial scale Magnesium Ethoxide in the USA. Specialty Organics is able to provide competitive pricing and fulfill fast turnarounds when required by our customers. We will work with customers on their schedule and size requirements based on their particular application.
The compound is an essential component in plastics manufacturing, oil refining, and pharmaceutical applications.
In addition, we also manufacture magnesium methylate, tin methanesulfonate, and BreezeBond™. Our facilities include stainless steel and glass reactors up to 500 gallons in capacity, a lab glass system that accommodates up to 50 liters, 100 PSI air and 150 PSI steam cooling towers and vacuums, and an in-house quality control center. We perform custom synthesis, chemical manufacturing, contract manufacturing, and pilot plant services.
Our chemicals meet the needs of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies. Contact us today to learn more about our capabilities.